Piknic Électronik’s commitment to sustainable development is still going strong. We believe that it is possible to have a good time without destroying the environment. Conscious of the impact an event such as ours can have a number of initiatives have already been implemented a number of both at the organization’s offices and at the Parc Jean-Drapeau site.
A strategic plan for sustainable development was established by the founders of Piknic Électronik, in consultation with the Conseil québécois des événements écoresponsables,
to ensurecompliance with our initiatives. Each year, we redouble our efforts.
Whether already underway or on the horizon, in small steps or large leaps, here are our initiatives that inform Piknicers how we plan to face the challenge of the decade!
2014 Objective : reduce our impact on the environment
- A presence on sustainable development committees
- Better communication of our political and strategic initiatives relating to sustainable development
- Reusable cup program that eliminates nearly all plastic cups on site
- All our dishes will be recyclable or compostable
- A public compost bin at the Mangeoire
- Participation in social reintegration programs
- Blog entries concerning eco-responsibility
- Introduction of donation options for ecological projects with the purchase of a season pass
- Elimination of printed meeting agendas
- Campaign to obtain “eco-responsible event” status from the Bureau de Normalisation du Québec
- For a sixth consecutive year, we’ve opted to release our season lineup without a press conference, considerably reducing our carbon footprint: no paper used, no food wasted, no USB keys used, no carbon gases generated by guest and journalist transportation, etc.
- For the past several years, our portion of printed promotional documents has been considerably reduced, in favour of Internet advertising (web, social networks, radio, etc.)
- Introduction of an on-site water fountain to encourage festival-goers to reuse their water bottles and reduce the number of plastic bottles generated by the event
And we keep looking for new ways to further our engagement and our initiatives even more!